Tuesday, March 20, 2007

GIVE PRAISE WHERE PRAISE IS DUE


For all of those who know me you will know that i am actually not 21, but that is what i told some kids from work and they actually believed me. That made my day. Then i was reminded of last year when a couple of the kids thought i was 34. Either way, i am getting older for sure. I can feel it physically for sure, and sometimes mentally too, i guess. I play hockey with two or three guys my age, but mostly with 19 and 20 year olds. Sometimes i wish i was that young again(when they still seem to have energy at the end of the game), but mostly i remember how much of a jerk i was when i was that age and am glad that i am 28(there i came clean, im 28). Anyway, i have been thinking about the past lately, mostly because of my 10, yes 10 year high school reunion coming up next weekend. So many things go through my mind when pondering the past. Regrets.... some, but mostly gratitude. I think about all those in my life that cared enough to invest in guiding me to where i am today, especially God, obviously because he gave me grace. Someone recently asked me why i belive in God. I told them that because of the things i have seen happen in my life and others that i know, there is no way i couldnt believe. God is good!!! My siblings are rad!! They give me so much pride. That may sound weird, but all of them seem like famous people i know sometimes. What i mean is that i couldnt be more proud to say that Peter, Blair, Keri, and Joy are my friends, let alone my siblings. I love that they are my real friends. Mostly, i am thankful for my parents. Since going back to work i am constantly reminded of how many families are torn apart and will possibly never get okay! To those of you who didnt grow up the way i did and maybe didnt have loving parents, please dont take this as some eliteist, holier than thou, rubbing it in sort of thing because it is only meant to give praise where praise is due. I have had many friends, coworkers and clients over the past few years that i have talked to and i honestly cannot think of one (that i know of) that would have had a safer, more loving, more Godly, more close to perfect home life. This is because of my parents undying love for their God, eachother, and of course their wee ones. I AM ETERNALLY GRATEFUL TO MY MOM AND DAD FOR BEING THE BEST EVER!!! I hate sappy stuff, but am now crying because i know that because of this, my kids have a chance to have this same life that i speak of. For those of you who did not have a loving home, remember this!! If your kids do then they will learn to make their home loving and their kids will learn the same(God willing). Because of this, i am also thankful to their parents, my grandmas and grandpas for their mad skilz(good parenting). To sum up, I love my mom and dad more than this futile attempt at an appreciation could express, but i hope that you all now know that Kerry and LaVonne Roberts are outstanding and the best parents, lovers, and people i know!

20 comments:

Keri M. Valdez said...

Well... I didn't know they were the best lovers, but obviously they are. :) I totally agree with everything Mark. Mom and dad are such amazing people and I am so proud to call them our parents, and friends. We were blessed with such a rich childhood and I can only hope my children feel as blessed as we do. At least my kids will have amazing grandparents if anything.. Love you mom and dad, and Mark thanks for saying those things. Mom and dad are grreeeat... check outmy blog. i did a little tribute thing to you and the bosy and joy and mom and dad last week..!:) love you all..:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Thank you my dear son for your words of love! I have just ended another day at the DRCSS, watching hurt kids lives pass them by...and your words have made me feel so loved! I have listened today to the heart of a mother whose son is addicted to drugs and who is stealing money from her and shows no sign of gratitude...and she is hurting without God to help her through or heal her hurting heart! How does she survive? Then I open your blog and I am so thankful that God blessed me with an incredible husband, who has grown in wisdom and stature, such an amazing man, who has become far greater than anything I could have imagined. "Still hot too" by the way, in my books! Your dad is a big part of the heritage you have received, such a wonderful guy! Remember, it is about God, all of it! everything! to Him be the glory! The heritage of faith that has been handed down to dad and I has been the foundation for your future Hope in Him! Never forget that my dear children! I love you all so dearly! I pray for you all the time and love you more than words can say...so now as the tears come and I thank God for your life Mark and the blessing all of you kids are to dad and I, I reflect on the continual blessings and thank God for all He has done and is doing! God is so good! and dad is "STILL HOT" in my books. I love you Mark, I am so proud! My cup overflows! You have made my day full!

Mom (with a huge hug)

Anonymous said...

wow could mom have said dad was hot a few more times.....:S haha but really mark I completely agree. Mom and dad are pretty sweet and i wouldnt trade them for any other parents. I love you both so much! And i honestly dont know what i would do without you. Moving out makes your appreciate your parents for all that they have done for you and all that they have put up with...sorry mom and dad.. i know there was alot. Dont worry ill copy mark and make my own tribute when i get my own blog. Love you guys and see you soon. Oh ya and mark.. your pretty cool too! haha love ya

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

Kerry is hot.

John

Anonymous said...

Sorry Keri our secret is out now you know we are the bestlovers. Joy don't run and hide think of it like trying to strive for 1st Cor 13, or if that doesn't make you feel better try SS 2:3-5.
Thank you Mark "my cup overflows with blessings" My Adult children, there choices, there wifes/husbands, my lover ect. God is so good Thankyou Jesus for your example and instructions for a truly bountifull life. Okay enough someone is calling.I won't tell you who Joy.
Dad
By the way thanks John I'm touched.

xblairx said...

ha, i love that my parents will talk about how they are the best lovers. most kids would get embarrassed, but i think that is hilarious. you guys inspire me more than you'll ever know. mark stole the thunder out of the final section in the family tribute series, so i'll write you one again sometime soon. thanks for nothing mark.

Anonymous said...

sick.....haha

Brian Charla said...

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Wonderful family.

Brian

The Ashby's said...

Just popping in to let you know that thru the time spent at Western your parents didn't only shape the lives of the children they conceived.. uhhh... but enough of the lovers angle.

When i look back at some of the most important molding years of my life i look back at guys like Kerry, and the lessons i learnt from him. Kerry, i like to think that you really helped me to know what a dad's role is, and in some way you've helped a lot of guys that maybe you don't realize. thx...

PS - I don't know if i'd say HOT, but maybe a moderately good looking young uhh... ahh.. ok, forget it, he's just hot!

Diane said...

Now I feel old. I have been blog surfing to people I know (or once knew)and I see these people who have gone on to live lives without me knowing anything about it and I feel so old. Thank you for reinforcing just how old I really am. (Ha, ha).

Carolyn said...

Mark Roberts! Wow - it has been a long time. This is Carolyn (Wiebe) - I have had fun finding you and all of your siblings in blog world. I too am honored to be able to say that I know your parents - such genuinely good people. The family life that all of you continue to share together - even as adults with your own spouses and kids (which blows my mind by the way! - time flies!!!) is a true testimony to the type of home your parents created. Way to go Kerry and LaVonne!!! LaVonne, if you read this - I would love to touch base with you. Check out my blog and send me an email - or let me know how I can find your address.

In Him,
Carolyn

xblairx said...

update it jerk wad.

Anonymous said...

I agree more pictures fromm all of you would be nice. Dad

Craig,Leah,Lena said...

yup, i gotta agree with you mark. you really do have 2 of the best parents out there. whether kerry and lavonne knew it or not, or whether we all knew it or not, they were an amazing example to all of us on how to be great parents. how to raise chrisitan kids. how to take your kids out for coffee and talk about real stuff. how to sit your teen age boys on your mom's lap and 'warn them'. and how to laugh. a lot.
thanks for letting me remember lots of good times with your family. maybe someday craig and i will put those parenting tips to work!

2-minute mark said...

some kind of announcement maybe, hay or not. hmmmm!

2-minute mark said...

by the way that last comment was referring to Leahs comment!

Keri M. Valdez said...

come on mark. it's time for an update on life. i know your busy and have a life.. but i don't care.. let us in on how you're doing.. update..

Bryan and Jamie and family said...

Hi. This is Jamie (Klatt) I just have to add that you are very blessed to have the parentsthat you have. They touched my life during my time at WCC & I won't ever forget how they blessed me.

Check out our family blog at blessings-upon-us.blogspot.com

Jamie

Trevor Seibel said...

Well Tanya and I always suspected something special with Kerry and Lavonne (didn't think it was that they were the best lovers but hey, whatever works!!)

Ian said...

What a wonderful tribute to your parents!